(As Told by Arnold House)
First Memories of World War II: Uncle Wayman leaving for the Army. His Grandmother Minnie Oakes saying it was the Jew’s war, we had no business over there.
Uncle Jerry coming home one leave from the Army boot camp. He was a non-combatant. You couldn’t have two brothers in combat. He opened up his military backpack, to show what was in it. That’s when he gave Arnold his military Bible. Everyone was given one.
Travelling on train between California and Oklahoma and Texas. He remembers his Mother and him getting on the wrong train, and going across the Great Salt Lake in Utah. Next station we had to change trains, and go back and get on the right train. Had to buy box lunch for 25 cents (ed. note: approximately $ 4.25 in 2017 Dollars), sandwich and an apple.
No gas shortages in Oklahoma farm community. California shortage of everything. Finley, California, Oleo margarine (at first it only came in white, no one would buy it so a few months later they came out with a little color packet that was mixed in to make it look more like butter.
Storages after the war. Dad would buy stamps, this was illegal. Mom had 75 Road Inland Red chickens, and a few brown leghorns, while living in Loving, Oklahoma. Mom said cold storage eggs, were old. Centers were light yellow instead of dark yellow. Mom would get about 60 eggs a day. One time she almost got one egg per chicken. She traded eggs for groceries in Heavener, Oklahoma. To keep the chickens happy she would keep one or two roosters, the rest were chicken dinner. Hens will follow the roasters, they will naturally go in the chicken coop at night, fighting each other for highs roost.
Ronnie was four when, one of the hens hid her nest and had three baby chicks. He make pets out of them. He would grab the head of half grown chicks and force-feed them. When grown these chickens were so fat that they didn’t fry very well.
- Blum-Subow Family History
- Blum-Subow Family Images
- Covington – Charles Lawrence (1885 – 1965)
- Covington – Joan Valma Carpenter (1925 – 2005)
- Covington – Robert Lawrence (1927 – 1993)
- Covington Family History
- Covington Family Images
- Davidson – Eddie Erwin (1889 – 1969)
- Davidson – How Robert and Lorraine Met
- Davidson – Lorraine Mildred Lewis (1921 – 2002)
- Davidson – Robert (1852 – 1925)
- Davidson – Robert Charles (1915 – 1985)
- Davidson Family History
- Davidson Notes – 1915 – 1918
- Family Images
- Family Tag Cloud
- Family Tree History
- Family Veterans
- Hagen-Davidson – Elizabeth (1889 – 1918)
- House – Arnold Dale (1960 – 2012)
- House – Arnold Ray (1938 – 2016)
- House – Jean Lorraine Davidson
- House Family History
- House Family Images
- Letter To Jean House 2016
- My Holiday Photos
- Schultze Family History
- Schultze Family Images
- Voyles Family History